The History of our Building
Originally constructed as a Federal Building and United States Post Office, the building dates 1911. James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect for the United States Treasury, is credited with designing the 1911 building along with other significant public structures including the Philadelphia Mint. Having served as the Post Office until the 1960s, the building was vacated when a newer building was constructed blocks away on College Street. The building was first returned to service as the Newberry Saluda Regional Library, providing books for nearly fifty years.
When the new library was constructed, the Newberry County Historical and Museum Society joined forces with the Newberry College Archives Committee to establish a museum in the Taylor Building. Realizing that significant funding would be needed to remodel the building, a grassroots effort was initiated to promote the project for the 2016 Capital Project Sales Tax referendum. Gratefully, the museum was allocated $2.2 million for the restoration when the citizens of Newberry County approved the continuation of the penny sales tax.
Architect Michael Kohn of Columbia, SC was chosen for the restoration project with MAR Construction as the General Contractor and Cummings Construction as the Construction Manager. Work began in the Spring of 2018. Incorporating an elevator tower and courtyard with handicap ramping, the exterior of the building adds not only accessibility, but an outdoor space for visitor enjoyment. Inside, a mezzanine expands the display space above the main floor. The museum plans to be open by the Fall of 2019.